Week 3A - Communication


I've experienced some communication issues with businesses, especially cell phone companies.  I think I've battled with every major cell phone company at some point in time.  Usually the issue concerns extra charges on the bill, and it becomes a hassle to remove them.  Sometimes it takes two or more representatives, a bunch of transfers and dead lines, and eventually a supervisor to solve the problem.  I think this is a common communication problem with some larger corporations, when there are discrepancies and hidden charges on a monthly bill.   It can be more frustrating when billing issues happen frequently and the call center representatives are difficult to work with.  

Social media reaches a large number of consumers, which opens the public to communicate openly about a business.  Consumers can post about a frequent issue that many people experience, which forces the company to either address the problem and offer a solution or face negative publicity.  With cell phone companies it might be more difficult to get problems like extra charges solved by social media alone, since many of these issues are situational.  However, social media could help to point out customer service issues and hidden fees with those companies, warning other potential consumers.  

I haven't really posted an issue with a business on social media, but I have reviewed products and answered questions on Amazon.  I think reviews about products and businesses are essential to a consumer and the business itself.  I was able to answer a question about an item for a vehicle that I had purchased in the past, and help a customer decide if the item would work.  I've also read positive and negative reviews which helped my choice in buying products online.  If it was my business and there was a negative review, I would address it and most likely offer a coupon or other discount solution.  That would help to create return business and other consumers would see a positive response with good customer service.  I would also thank people with positive reviews for their business and offer some type of return incentive as well.  

Comments

  1. Dealing with a bad review by giving a discount or coupon would be the way to go it seems. I have yet to find myself on either end of the stick but i agree with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cell phone companies are the worst! If there was an easy way to communicate with them through social media that would be amazing. But you're right, because they're always situational 9 times out of 10 the problem would have to be solved over the phone with representatives or customer support. So annoying!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts