Week 4B - Websites

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/

I use Craigslist frequently to search for almost anything I need from housing to music equipment.  I also use the selling option to list items I have for sale.  The website is effective because its simplicity and user friendly platform.  Craigslist has also kept the same website design for as long as I can remember, which keeps it consistent and recognizable.  I think it's their simple, basic design that makes it work.  I come back for the fact that I can post things for sale easily and in any location I need to.  This is also why I use the site to find items or services in my area as well.  It's a good tool to use when you need it, and I can always rely on it to make, or save, a few dollars.  

Craigslist's simple design and ease of use is a great thing, yet could be updated with a few images or graphics on the homepage.  Sellers are encouraged to post pictures with their items, housing, autos, and services, but it's not required.  There are only links on the homepage and no graphics, which makes for a boring website.  The navigation through posting a sale is also a little difficult to master, but once you have the process down it's simple.   

https://www.amazon.com/

I enjoy using amazon for buying items like books and new electronics.  I also use the seller option to resell my school books.  The website is easy to use and provides a well thought out system of categories and links which are easy to navigate.  There are images and graphics too, so you are able see the exact product you are interested in.  The layout and ease of navigation makes Amazon a popular website which is widely used.  The fact that consumers are connected directly to the sellers, cutting out retail middle men and bringing the prices down.  The seller option is also easy to use and connects to sellers around the world.  Amazon also has reviews 

With the ease of use and great layout, Amazon's website doesn't have much to improve in my opinion.  It can be a little busy depending on the product advertised and the amount of reviews.  I think the used items or other seller options should be easier to see, but I'm sure larger suppliers and corporations pay for better placement.  Though the seller option is east to use and list items you want to sell, there are a lot of restrictions on sell-able items.  If your product doesn't have information already on amazon, it takes a long time to input the data to be able to make a listing.  This could be designed a little more consumer friendly, maybe with an option to take a photo of your item that can upload all the data automatically.  Otherwise, Amazon is one of the better websites out there.   

Comments

Popular Posts